Open ended questions allow respondents to enter free form answers for one or more fields, subject to the constraints defined in the question.
See figure below for an example of an open ended question.
See Adding a new question for help on fields common to all question types.
- Required: Specifies if an answer is required for the question. If the option is set, respondents will not be able to move to the next page in the survey until they provide an answer in each of the fields defined for the question.
- Show instructions: Specifies if textual instructions should be added to the question that precise the type of values accepted by the question.
- Randomize answers: Specifies in the answers for the open question should be randomized when shown to participants
2. Value type: The type of value for the fields in the question. For number values, both integer and decimal values are allowed as answers.
3. Constraints for values
Several constraints can be defined for the values that respondent can provide for the fields in the question. The constraints available depend on the type of value for the question.
The constraints available for text values are:
- Type of text field to show to respondents: Either single line or multiple line text field
- The maximum number or characters that respondents can enter. If the value is not set, the maximum number of characters allowed is set to either 4000 or 2000 depending on the system configuration.
- The width in pixel of the text field
- The height in pixel of the text field: This is available when field Text box is set to Multiple lines of text
- Email: specifies if the value entered by respondents should be an email address. This field is available when field Text box is set to Single line of text. To require the respondent to confirm their email by entering it twice, configure the question to have two fields in the Answers tab.
The constraints available for date values are:
- Minimum: The minimum date allowed in the fields for the question
- Maximum: The maximum date allowed in the fields for the question
The constraints available for number values are:
- Minimum: The minimum number allowed in the fields for the question
- Maximum: The maximum number allowed in the fields for the question
- Constant sum: A number that must match the sum of the fields for the question before the respondent can proceed to the next page in the survey.
Each field for the question will provide the respondent with the ability to enter a distinct piece of data. The label for the field, if defined, will be show next to the field. Labels must either be defined for all fields or for none of the fields. Labels can be defined for each of the languages for the survey and for each field.
To add a field, use button
To remove a field, use button . Fields that are referenced by page conditions or report filters cannot be deleted until the conditions or filters are deleted.
The fields can be reordered by drag and drop using the drag handle in the first column of the table.
The number of responses already gathered for each of the fields is shown in column "# Responses".
See also How to use the rich text editor, How to spell check the content of a page